Sunday, January 29, 2006

Mitt Romney . . . A Mormon

I recently read an article about Gov. Mitt Romney running for President of the U.S. in 2008 and how being a Mormon may hinder his chances. I’ve never met him, but I was impressed with what he did for the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympics.

In response to the author’s statement that Mormons pray to Joseph Smith, the founder of their faith, I wrote:


Just so you know I have been a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints since I was eight and never once have I, or any other member of the Church with which I’ve been acquainted, prayed to the prophet Joseph Smith.

That’s simply in incorrect statement.

We revere Joseph Smith. We pray as the Savior taught in the Lord’s Prayer in the New Testament: to the Father, in the name of Jesus Christ.

There’s only one Savior of all mankind, and that’s Jesus Christ. He is the chief cornerstone of our faith. Without Jesus Christ, there is no Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.


The Church offers information to clarify such misconceptions in its Newsroom.

So, if the reporter doesn’t set the record straight, at least I have here.

No comments: