Thursday, October 13, 2005

Can You Hear Me Now?

I’ve been accused by Vickey of having a telephone headset fetish. I admit I’m particular, but I’m no headset freak.

Today, in my normal course of shredding paper (which many of you know is an activity I truly enjoy) I inadvertently got my new phone headset cord caught in the papers I was shredding. The next thing I knew, the cord was all cut up and cut apart, separating my headset from the phone, and the headset was headed for the shredder.

I was able to yank on the headset and pull the cord out of the shredder before it damaged the shredder. I’m sure you’re amused just considering what it must have looked like and my reaction.

I don’t think it’s fair to claim this is a fetish! Certainly logic demands when something’s broken, you fix it or replace it. Time after time the headsets I’ve purchased stop functioning and continued use proves they’re not as comfortable as they were when they were purchased.

True, I’ll need to purchase another headset, probably only the second or third this year, despite what Vickey says. But such purchases do not a fetish make.

Of course, that’s not counting the couple I have purchased for Vickey who doesn’t get the same enjoyment I do out of using a headset. I keep trying to tell her how much more productive she could be with both hands free, but she doesn’t buy-in to it.

All I have to say is I’m frustrated I can’t find the right headset. If I ever do, I’ll be sure to let ya’ll know so you can run right out and get one of your own. They all have their flaws, the most recent flaw being a cord that’s too long and in too close a proximity to the shredder.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my defense, for all that care to read this far, I just have to say that Pete has purchased far more than 2-3 headsets this year, and continues to bully me into buying one for myself. Of course, we all know that he merely wants to shop for more headsets because it gives him joy and happiness to do so. Therefore, he has purchased 3-4 for himself and at least 2-3 for me. I try to tell him that the kind of ear pieces that go directly into the ear have never felt good on my ear, but he persists in buying them time and again. Fetish? I should say so. Only to be rivaled by my scrapbook fetish, though.

Anonymous said...

I have a spare that has been kicking around on my desk for three or four years. I would be happy to send you if you would like. Clearly Jr. needs therapy.