Friday, March 23, 2007

Another birthday

In a couple of weeks I will have lived longer on my own than I did with my parents. It’s a weird thought, really.

In a way it’s a reminder that who I am and what I’m surrounded by is largely a result of my own decisions.

It’s also a reminder of the good upbringing I had. I’m fortunate to have loving parents who are still together, and to have the guiding influence of faith, virtue and integrity.

I really never went without as a child, although my brother got better nutrition than I, since I was born while my folks were still in college and he came along when my dad was gainfully employed. So alas, my younger brother’s taller than me. But I’m not bitter…

While some choose to downplay birthdays as just another day, it’s my custom to take the day off work and spend it doing only whatever I want. It’s a great personal gift.

I haven’t chosen a project for this year’s special day yet. Keeping true to my friend Becky’s nickname, ‘Project Pete’ must choose something worthy of my grandfather’s expression, “Another fine job by PJC!”

For those of you habitually late in sending birthday greetings, you’ve got plenty of notice. There are still a couple weeks left before my big day.

And speaking of birthdays, we’re excited to welcome another Codella cousin. Brian and Melissa informed the family earlier this month that they’re expecting number four. Still no word on whether it’s a boy or a girl. We’re all hoping for a girl (the odds are in their favor) and that the due date is on the 21st of August, because that would make four kids born on the 21st of a month. So even though the due date is the first week of September, we’ll hope for an early delivery, Mel.

No comments: