Saturday, May 20, 2006

Father and son’s campout

This weekend our ward held its annual father and son’s campout. This year we camped at Mahogany Grove Campground, part of the Spring Mountains National Recreation Area at Mount Charleston.

My office partner, David, and his son, Mario, came along for the fun. Although Mario didn’t last too long before going to bed Friday night after throwing up. He was having a rough time. And David’s stomach was bothering him as well. They did manage to sleep through the night, certainly longer than I did, and left just after breakfast to head back down the mountain.


David and I were the first ones to stake out our tent sites around 4:45 p.m. yesterday. As usual, I took way too much stuff and was mocked for setting up the living room in my 6+ man tent. But that’s okay. Dominic and I were comfortable!


Mark came up with his son, Jared, and his physical therapy colleague, Gabriel, close to 7 p.m. Mark also brought Dominic up with him so I didn’t have to drive home from work then head back that same direction to the campsite. Thanks Mark!


I was a little concerned about how a 10-month old baby would do in the mountains, but thanks in part to Vickey’s packing efforts (she helped me get ready, although I gave her a pretty detailed list of what I thought we’d need) Dominic did just fine. He’s a pretty laid back kid and seemed to really enjoy all that was going on around camp and being outdoors.


After French dip sandwiches for dinner (thank you Richard!) we sat around the campfire and had a brief program in honor of the restoration of the Aaronic Priesthood (read what Pres. Hinckley said about the event in a talk at April 1989 General Conference).

After the campfire program we broke out the marshmallows and my handy-dandy extension marshmallow roasting sticks and used up several bags of marshmallows. And that was after ice cream sandwiches and drumsticks from the ice chest, packed in dry ice. Needless to say, we ate very well last night and this morning.

Dominic enjoyed all the meals, and his bottles not so much. But there’s no question he gets nourishment. At least I’m certain he’s got a full belly after eating as much as he does.

This morning several of us — those who didn’t have to leave at 6 or 7 a.m. to get back to town for soccer games — played a few games. That’s when I broke out the camera and got most of the photos. We had fun playing the sombrero hat game (where you transfer a small ball from hat to hat without dropping it and race along a course) and having a nail hammering contest.




After breaking down camp Mark, Gabriel, Jared, Dominic and I hiked up Robber’s Roost Trail. That was fun and a bit challenging with a baby on my shoulders. I know Dominic enjoyed it though because he was kicking and twirling his hands almost the whole way up and down. Once he got buckled up after the hike it took about 30 seconds for him to fall asleep. I was jealous he got to nap while I drove home. It took about an hour and 15 minutes to make it to Henderson and the temperature went from a pleasant 70 degrees to over 100 on the Tundra’s thermostat. Yes, it’s definitely summer in Vegas!



To view all the photos I took, visit the Codella family website.

No comments: