Tuesday, July 12, 2005

The Quiet After the Storm


Amazingly it’s completely quiet in our home right now. It’s so peaceful it makes me wonder what’s wrong.

Also amazingly, little Dominic slept from midnight to 4 a.m. last night. That was terrific! I think Vickey’s feeling much better as a result of some consistent multi-hour sleep. It’ll just be one day at a time and will take some time to get things back to normal…a new kind of normal.

When one of our friends emailed today she referred to us as the Fantastic Four – The Codella Four. It’s weird to think we’re a family of four now. We have yet to drive with all of us in one car (because Matt and Kristy brought Eliana home form the hospital before we checked out on Sunday evening).

I think it’ll really feel strange to buckle in two car seats and strap in two kids and head off to church or to go shopping. I guess it’s one of those things to which you gradually grow accustomed.

In some professional news, my firm, Codella Marketing, made the news yesterday on PR Newswire’s site for agency news. You can read about the firm’s three new clients here. And some additional business ventures are planned for the upcoming weeks, so stay tuned.

It has been good to get things organized and focus on some work this afternoon. Grandma Snow took Eliana and her two cousins out for lunch…and that was three-and-a-half hours ago. I’m glad it’s not me out in that 100+ degree weather. It’s hot!

Grandpa Snow and I plan to do some painting for Dominic later tonight. There are two shelves in his room that were pink for his sister and we’re making them blue. With that activity we’ll complete the facelift for the nursery. Now it’s a masculine nursery instead of a feminine one. I commented to my neighbor earlier that when we decorated the nursery four years ago we made it blue and yellow so it could go either way. His comment was to just make sure my kids don’t go either way. Ooo! (That expression comes from Chandler on Friends; if you’re familiar with it, you understand how the inflection goes.)

One more little tidbit for you: did you know scorpions light up when black light hits them? They’re fluorescent! It’s really eerie. I borrowed a black light flashlight from my neighbor last night to hunt for scorpions – the only way to rid your yard of them according to our exterminator. My neighbor said he found 17 scorpions during the last week in his back yard. Gordon and I went out last night about 9 p.m. and by the time we came in had found at least 15 and killed around a dozen (chopped them up with a shovel or smashed them with a hammer – now that’s fun!). It was like fishing, only it was creepy. Perhaps it’s just one of those things you have to live with when you live in the desert.

So, life goes on at the Codellas and things have calmed down considerably.

No comments: