Sunday, December 10, 2006

Russian chocolate cookies

It’s a tradition in the Codella family to make Russian chocolate cookies during the holidays. I’m really not sure why an Italian family makes Russian chocolate cookies, but we do. I think it’s a recipe my dad’s mom was fond of and therefore adopted for the family. (The recipe is so large that we're mixing it by hand on the kitchen table because we don't have a large enough bowl.)


Tonight my cousins Michael and Gina came over for dinner and some holiday baking…and boy was it a baking extravaganza! We had a great time. The evening was full of yummy things to eat, Michael dropping measuring cups on the floor, the usual sibling bantering between he and Gina, and Michael and I trading insults. What a great time for us cousins!


Eliana was right in the mix. So was Dominic for about an hour before he reached his limit. I envy the sleep he’s getting.


After being down and out health-wise a couple different times lately I’m still feeling a bit weak. I had a 102 degree fever for several days this week and have been on antibiotics since Wednesday. It’s been a rough week and I find myself even further behind at work with Christmas and New Year’s just weeks away…yikes!

At any rate, we thoroughly enjoyed tonight’s festive affair—singing along with Christmas music, Ellie and Dominic racing around the kitchen island while the adults were trying to bake, a good dinner and yummy treats that just kept coming, Tank sneaking an unbaked cookie off the table, and even a happy holidays phone call to my Aunt Marie (we wanted a recipe from her and she gave me enough information to locate a peanut butter ball cookie recipe that turned out amazingly perfect).

I put in half a day’s work at the office this morning while Vickey conducted a Pampered Chef show in Boulder City this afternoon. The kids and I ran some errands this afternoon. Okay, they weren’t just errands, we got my Christmas gifts: floor mats and running boards for the Tundra (we’re not replacing accessories, just adding ones always wanted).

It was a busy Saturday replete with good seasonal activities. If only I could get some rest tomorrow.

And I just have to add this before I close because it’s on my mind after reading the week’s mail:

In my mom’s Christmas letter (well it was signed by my dad, but I’m fairly certain he wasn’t its author), I was intrigued by the comment about going on a real vacation someday.

Hey mom, you could consider taking dad up on his offer to take you on a cruise before he gets tired of asking. A New Year’s resolution perhaps?

And as for my dad inheriting diabetes from my grandma Codella…I guess there are bound to be some bad genes in there someplace from many different generations on both sides of the family tree. If only those scientists would wrap up that DNA project and fabricate cures for all humankind’s ailments. Another wish for a New Year.

I’m grateful for my heritage from both parents and hope for healthy lifestyles for all of us in 2007. You’d better take care of yourself dad so you can be there for your grandkids’ graduations from high school. We’d even love to have you around when they complete college.

Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments: