Thursday, July 06, 2006

Phone crunch

I should have known when I woke up wide awake at 3 a.m. that it wasn’t going to be a typical day. By 3:20 I was working on the computer, trying to finish up the content for a website that’s been on my to do list for many weeks. I’m happy to say the project is coming along (here’s an image of the first mock-up: PRSAPinnacleAwards.com).

I was actually really productive this morning and made it to work early and got a lot done there. It was on my way back to the office from a 10 a.m. client meeting that my luck ran out.

This is a photo of my new (I just got this phone a few weeks ago) mobile phone after it fell out of the window of the Tundra onto Flamingo as I rounded a corner while I was talking to Vickey. The phone fell to the pavement, I pulled over (no, there weren’t cars right behind me), parked the truck and went to retrieve the phone.


Then, wouldn’t you know it, there were two cars in the center lane headed towards the phone. I waived the first car over and it avoided the phone. The second, large Cadillac Escalade, however, failed to notice anything awry, with the exception of my truck parked and me walking down the right lane of the 3-lane road.

Then…CRUNCH! My new phone was toast.

All I could do at that point was laugh.

What are the odds of me dropping the phone out the window, it surviving the drop then being crushed by an oversized, overpriced SUV?

I certainly didn’t expect that when I woke up this morning.

Then again, I didn’t expect to only get a handful of hours of sleep either.

From there my day just spiraled out of control.

I called it a day at 3:30 p.m. and headed home.

If only I had my Bluetooth headset while I was en route I would have avoided the whole clumsy episode.

What was even more amusing was that there was a young guy in the left hand turn lane watching this drama unfold. As I gathered the pieces off the road then jogged back to the truck to avoid the wave of cars heading through a freshly green-lighted intersection, the on-looking driver said, “That sucks!”

That pretty much sums it up. Thanks, buddy.


And yes, I called Vickey as soon as I got back to the office to let her know I hadn’t just been killed in an automobile accident which is pretty much what it sounded like — well maybe not the killed part — from her end of the conversation.

So for those of you used to me using up my monthly minutes during my commute keeping in touch, it’s not going to happen for a while until I get set-up again with a new phone.

And since I went through two other phone models on my last contract renewal I’m not even sure if I kept the insurance on my plan. If not, I’ll be paying for a new phone out of pocket.

I’m beginning to think there’s wisdom in simple, cheap mobile phones.

No comments: